CC - II : What are the different oracles in Oedipus Rex




 

There are two major prophecies in Oedipus. The most well known was given to Oedipus shortly before he left Corinth: 

    1. "Aye, 'tis no secret. Apollo once foretold That I should mate with my own mother, and shed with my own hands the blood of my own sire. Hence Corinth was for many a year to me. A home distant; and I trove abroad, but missed the sweetest sight, my parents' face."

  Later in the play, Jocasta relates the prophecy that was told to Laius before the birth of Oedipus. Laius was only told of the incipient parricide and not of the incest:

  "An oracle once come to Laius (I will no say ' Twas from the Delphic god himself, but from his ministers) declaring he was doomed to perish by the hand of his own son, A child that should be born to him by me .

Post a Comment

0 Comments